Monday 14 January 2019

Campaign response - 'U-turn on Brexit'

A number of constituents have written to me with an email saying they have changed their minds about the vote on Tuesday 15 January:

I look back at what was said at the last election in manifestos and in my own statements. As a backbencher I am unable to speak for others, however I remain committed to seeing through the Brexit that the majority voted for across the country and in the constituency.

The current deal does not fulfil a meaningful Brexit as thus I cannot support it. I have made a statement :

https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/news/steve-double-mp-statement-brexit-deal

The best way for the UK to pull together is for everyone to recognise the decision made at the referendum and accept that in a democracy the majority must hold sway.

We will unlikely agree on this however I appreciate you contacting me and if there is anything else I can help you with please be in touch.