Monday 21 January 2019

Campaign reply - 'Message from constituent'


A number of constituents have written to me with a campaign email on Brexit with the title in the subject line “ Message from constituent”.

The PMs deal was heavily defeated in the house because it failed to deliver on the referendum result in a meaningful way.

Immediately following the vote, the PM threw down the challenge to the opposition parties to hold a vote of no confidence in the government. The government won.

I note the comments on no deal being “ a disaster” but no evidence is provided. On any account I disagree.

There are no circumstances where I will support a call to amend or withdraw article 50. There was overwhelming support in the house to enact it – not least because it honoured the result of the referendum. It is incumbent upon all MPs (whatever their own personal views) to honour the result of the referendum and ensure the UK leaves the EU either with a deal worthy of Brexit or leave on WTO terms. I will do all I can to do just that.