Tuesday 15 January 2019

Campaign reply - Immigration and our NHS


As the Immigration and Social Security Co-ordination bill is due for its Second Reading in the Commons this week, some of my constituents concerned about the bill’s provisions for the NHS have emailed me to ask if I would speak up to ensure “we have the nurses and care workers we need” and “our future immigration system doesn't threaten already struggling hospitals and care homes in our area”.

I recognise importance of the issue of immigration and that we get things right as we leave the EU with Parliament set to take on a bigger role in scrutinising the work of the Home Office. Central to this is ensuring that we have the right people with the skills and talents we need to meet the needs of our economy and public services.

I recently met with representatives from the health and social care sector in Cornwall, who told me that there is an urgent need to ensure any future immigration system takes into account of the challenges of the ageing demographic in Cornwall and the SW.

I am glad that the Government decided in June to abolish the Tier 2 numerical cap on doctors and nurses from non-EU countries, which means that key shortages in the NHS can now be filled more quickly by the talents we need overseas.

However, I would like to see further reforms in the system that will allow skilled nurses and carers from both EU and non-EU countries to be given opportunities to contribute to our NHS after Brexit. I will for example be calling for the Government to review its Tier 2 salary limit of £30,000 and consider regional differences in earning levels to ensure that Cornwall does not lose out to places like London where average earning levels are higher.

Brexit gives us a once in a lifetime opportunity to build a fair and effective immigration system that works for everyone. We need to look at how we can encourage more of our own young people to train and take up careers in our NHS, but it is clear to me and many in the sector that in the short term we will need to look at immigration arrangements that will ensure that our NHS has the staff it needs to continue delivering quality care and services.

I would like to thank my constituents who have taken the time to write to me about this issue and I look forward to voicing their views on the NHS and Immigration in Westminster.