Monday 7 January 2019

Campaign reply - "Please support a new EU referendum."


A number of constituents have written to me asking " Please support a new EU referendum."

The campaign for a 2nd referendum on our membership of the European Union has been well covered. My position on this has not changed, and is very unlikely to do so. However, I lay out below my reasons why I do not support another referendum.

84% of all votes cast at the last election were for parties who said they would implement the result of the referendum. The mandate is overwhelming. The call for yet another test of public opinion is disingenuous. It is led by those who have never accepted the outcome of the referendum and seek to overturn it.

This suggestion of asking people again is often patronising : the argument that people "didn’t know what they were voting for," apart from being hugely demeaning to the 17.4mllion people who voted to leave,  and is quite frankly bizarre. "The voters don’t know what they voted for so let's ask them again!"

My position on Brexit has been consistent and is very much a long held view of mine; that we would be much better out of the EU.

I backed a people’s vote in 2016. Our constituency voted by almost 2-1 in favour of leave, the biggest margin in Cornwall.

I voted to leave and I believe my job as a parliamentarian is to get on with delivering the results of the people’s vote.

I am committed to delivering the results of the referendum, nationally and locally, by ensuring that we leave the EU on 29 March 2019. It is vital for our democracy we respect the decision the British people made in 2016’s referendum and deliver what the people voted for.

Additionally, during the election campaign last year I stood on a very clear message that I would respect the result of the referendum and work to deliver Brexit. I received a clear mandate in that election receiving and biggest vote and biggest majority ever seen in the constituency.

I, along with vast majority of my colleagues in Parliament, are of the opinion that the referendum on the UK’s membership of European Union was a clear and fair vote, demonstrating that we as a nation are in favour of leaving the European Union. Those suggesting that somehow people did not understand what they were voting for are both patronising and disrespectful.

I do not support another referendum. Not only would it not be respecting the 2016 vote, which was a people’s vote, it would also undermine the negotiating position. It would also cause further delay and uncertainty.

The vast majority of people tell me they simply want us to get on with things and leave. Businesses in particular want to know, as soon as possible what the future will hold.

It is doubtful there would even be time for another referendum within the time available but even if it could be shoehorned into the schedule, the delay and certainty would be the last thing we need.

Of course there is also the question that if we held another referendum, if there were people unhappy with the result of that one, would they then want another one, and so on until they got a result they were happy with? That isn’t how democracy works.

I am a democrat and I believe that in order to safeguard our democracy we need to implement the will of the nation, as expressed in the results of the referendum, by leaving the European Union.
Every week my post bag burgeons with constituents seeking assurance that we will have a full and meaningful Brexit as compared with just a very few who of alternative view.