Thursday 10 January 2019

Campaign response: Help us protect all young people and close the loophole


Some of my constituents concerned about the inability of Protection of Trust law to safeguard our children have written to me to seek my support of the NSPCC’s Close the Loophole Campaign.
                           
They informed me although the law may protect children in the classroom, as it stands it is inadequate in protecting children against other adults in positions with similar power and influence, like a sports coach or youth group leader can legally use their position to groom children in their care.

For instance, police are currently unable to investigate more than 650 complaints made to councils about adults having sex with teenagers in their care made between 2014 and 2018 because of this legal loophole. The NSPCC has said that it is aware of many cases of young people whose lives have been negatively impacted by adults abusing their position of power.

Keeping young people safe and protected from abusive behaviour of adults is important to me, and that is why I am happy to say to my constituents that I will be supporting the Close the Loophole campaign. I have now contacted the NSPCC’s public affairs team to inform them of my willingness to work with them to address this issue in our justice system.

More information about the NSPCC’s campaign and how you can get involved can be found on their website: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-we-do/campaigns/close-the-loophole/