Monday 28 January 2019

Campaign reply - 'Article 50 Delay'


A number of constituents have written to me with an email entitled “ Article 50 delay.”

Frankly I could not agree more. I will not support an extension of Article 50.

Leaving the EU was set out long ago and voted for overwhelmingly by the House by triggering Article 50 in March 2017, thus:

If a deal cannot be struck then Parliament has already legislated through the EU Withdrawal Act that we will leave with no deal. Only primary legislation could change that. Leaving with no deal is not my preferred option but it is a perfectly acceptable one if it comes to it. The notion that we should delay is at best unhelpful and at worst designed only to frustrate the clearly expressed views of the electorate in the referendum.

I continue to do all I can to ensure we leave with the EU on 29 March with a deal that honours the referendum result or on WTO terms.