Tuesday 29 January 2019

Campaign response - 'Brexit debate on Tuesday'


Some constituents  have contacted me with a campaign  email entitled Brexit debate on Tuesday” asking me to support amendments that will delay Brexit and discount a ‘no deal’ outcome.

I note the genuinely held views of those who are concerned at the possibility of the UK leaving the EU without a deal. However, many of the concerns expressed are based on speculation, assumptions and worst case scenarios. Many of these predictions are made by the same people who have be consistently wrong in the past including when they predicted a recession and mass job losses if we voted to leave the EU. However, since the referendum in June 2016 the UK economy has continued to grow with record levels of employment, inward investment and tax receipts to the Treasury.

Phrases such as “Crashing out of the EU” are unhelpful and wide of the mark. A great deal of preparation has already been made to ensure that if we do leave without a deal. The legislation (article 50 and the EU Withdrawal Act) passed long ago and with a significant majority of the House voting for it makes provision that if we are unable to agree a deal with the EU then we leave on WTO terms. It is not my preferred option and let us all believe the EU (as is their custom) will negotiate with the UK in a meaningful way in the closing days before we leave on 29 March. If not the path forward has been established.

My reasoning for supporting Brexit during the referendum and last election is because I firmly believe it is the right path for the UK to take. However, more importantly, it is not just my view, it is the democratic decision of the British people in the referendum, including a majority of almost 2-1 of voters in our constituency. That decision must be honoured. Change will bring its challenges, it always does, but I am confident that the UK is well placed to face those challenges and set a course for prosperity in the future.

Whilst I note your concerns they are based on the scenarios set out by those who having lost the argument and the referendum continue to spread gloom. The best way I can represent all constituents is by honouring the pledges I made during the referendum and the last election that I would do all I could to ensure the UK leaves the EU and becomes a sovereign nation again. That after all is the wishes of the clear majoity in the constituency.