Monday 7 January 2019

Campaign response - Stop UK Aid Funding Palestinian Terrorism

Recently I have been contacted by constituents concerned about the alleged misuse of UKAID to fund activities carried out by the Palestinian Authority related to terrorism.

They informed me that “the Institute for Monitoring Peace and Cultural Tolerance (IMPACT) reported that school books encouraged Palestinian children ‘to sacrifice their lives in the name of religion’ and glorified martyrdom and violent resistance … Additionally, the UK government continues to deny the link between payments to Palestinian terrorists, guilty of the most heinous crimes and UK aid, including payments to two men who murdered Kristene Luken and brutally attacked British citizen Kay Wilson”

These are serious allegations and warrant a full response from the Government and time for Parliament scrutiny.

My constituents may know that I am vocal supporter of UKAID. I am proud of our commitment to spend 0.7% of our budget in international aid, which is helping to build a safer, healthier, more prosperous world for people in developing countries and in the UK.
However, any misuse of the aid budget undermines trust in taxpayers’ trust in the government ability to deliver on our international humanitarian commitments.

I have already written to the Secretary of State for International Development to draw her attention to this matter and will be informing my constituents of her reply in due course.  

I will also do my best to be in the chamber for Louise Ellman MP’s Ten Minute Rule Bill on this matter on Tuesday 8 January 2019, subject to other parliamentary commitments I have on the day.

I would like to thank my constituents for drawing my attention to this important matter