Monday 14 January 2019

Campaign response – Respect the Result


With Parliament set to vote on the Prime Minister’s Brexit deal this week, a number of concerned constituents have emailed me to urge me to vote to reject the deal.

In their emails they told me that “The proposals for the agreement that have been released do not match the expectations set by the PM during her Lancaster House speech, and in cases do not match up with the promises made by the government during the last general election. A vote for this agreement would be a vote to: 1. Give the EU £39 billion for almost nothing in return 2. Treat Northern Ireland differently than the rest of the UK 3. Tie us to the customs union and EU laws, preventing international trade deals, and in contravention of the 2017 Conservative manifesto. This is not what I, nor any of 17.4 million I know, voted for in 2016.”

I find myself yet again in total agreement with what my constituents have said. Readers of this blog will be aware of my intentions to vote against the deal and the reasons for opposing the deal. I am grateful to my constituents who have taken the time to write to me about their views on the Brexit deal and I hope I can count on their support as we progress towards Brexit. I would like to assure them that I will continue to work to deliver a meaningful Brexit that respects the result of the referendum.