Wednesday 27 March 2019

Newspaper column 27 March 2019 - Keeping Britain Tidy


As I write this the Brexit situation is still very fluid so rather than write a whole column about the latest series of developments, which I am sure I will cover in future articles, I thought I would step away from it for this week and look at some highlights from my work for you all last week.

Last week in Parliament I questioned the Space Minister in Parliament, secured his ongoing support for Cornwall Airport Newquay to become the UK’s first horizontal launch spaceport, as well as a visit from him in April.

I also chaired a round table conference with the tourist industry and local government in Parliament, was a keynote speaker at a conference on the future of our vital community pharmacies, as well as welcoming students from St Columb Major (ACE) Academy to Parliament.

In Mid-Cornwall on Friday I attended a St Austell Bay Chamber of Commerce event to discuss future plans for the area. On Saturday I was delighted to take part in a litter pick with local Councillors and residents around Bishop Bronescombe School as part of Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean.

Keep Britain Tidy’s Great British Spring Clean  aims to inspire around half a million people to join forces - in partnership with community organisations, businesses and councils - to collect and safely dispose of litter from our streets, parks and beaches, recycling as much as possible.

I regularly take part in litter picks and beach cleans across our beautiful constituency and it’s great to see this movement to love where we live picking up pace both in Cornwall and across the whole country.

In my capacity as Chair of the Ocean Conservation All Party Parliamentary Group I have also worked for years with a number of organisations to lobby the government to introduce a range of measures to cut down on single use plastics, and am pleased to see these also being acted on.

Saturday’s litter pick saw volunteers joined by helpful staff from Biffa to pick up a whole range of litter, including several traffic cones, road signs and even a whole toilet. This came at the same time as I welcomed confirmation by Cornwall Council that they will be allocating nearly £100,000 of government funding to enable community groups in Cornwall to have access to more equipment for litter picks and beach cleans.

Of course as well as providing funding to tackle the littering we already experience, it is also important to tackle the long term causes of these issues, which I remain committed to doing so with the Government’s long term environmental plan, which contains a whole raft of measures to cut down on single use plastic and live more sustainably.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events