Monday 18 March 2019

Campaign reply - “Do you like chocolate Mr Double?”


A few constituents have written to me with a campaign email “Do you like chocolate Mr Double?”

Yes I do! Besides that and more importantly, this issue has immediately caught my attention as I have a long term interest in developing and third world countries.  Before becoming an MP I  travelled abroad many times in my pursuit of help and support for such nations.

I am also on the Petitions Committee and note the progress made thus far of those signing the petition. Should the matter come before the committee for consideration for debate I will be sure to support any such proposal. Westminster hall debates where selected petitions are held is an excellent way to raise the profile of causes and also obliges government ministers to take note and respond.

It seems entirely reasonable to me that a relatively wealthy nation like the UK should lead the way in ensuring that it pays a fair price for raw materials such as cocoa.