Monday 18 March 2019

Campaign reply - "TV licence concession for over 75's"


A few constituents have written to me with a campaign email entitled "TV licence concession for over 75's".

As a principle I never sign early day motions as they very rarely achieve anything whilst at the same time running up costs to the tax payer.


The BBC agreed a funding settlement with the then Chancellor, George Osborne. The BBC expressed their satisfaction and agreement and it was considered by many including me as very generous.

Part of that agreement was that it would take on in due course the funding of TV licences for the elderly. They readily agreed.

It is not acceptable for the BBC to reap the benefits of a generous settlement and then go back on a key part of it, particularly as it impacts those in later years.

I am very concerned that the BBC might seek to renege on that agreement and as such I will be raising the matter with ministers.