Wednesday 13 March 2019

Campaign response – Please respect devolution


Following the women’s march in London to demand changes to abortion laws in Northern Ireland, a number of concerned constituents have written to me to ask if I would make representations to The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Karen Bradley MP, calling on the Government to oppose any moves to override the devolution settlement and focus their efforts on the re-establishment of the Northern Ireland Assembly.

These constituents will be glad to learn that with regards to abortion, I am on their side of the argument.

My views on abortion are well known: I am a pro-life MP and I stand firmly against any measures to impose the liberalisation of the abortion laws on Northern Ireland.

When a number of measures were proposed to liberalise abortion and impose abortion on Northern Ireland, I am encouraged to learn of my constituents’ support for my vote against Diana Johnson’s Ten Minute Rule Motion on Abortion and Stella Creasy’s amendment to the Northern Ireland Bill.

I will continue to oppose any proposals that seek to undermine the ability of the people of Northern Ireland to determine their own affairs under the devolution settment, and as a pro-life MP I will continue to speak up for the sanctity of life and support legislations that will protect women and their unborn babies.

I do not often see the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland but I will be sure to make the strength of feeling expressed by constituents on this issue clear to her when I next see her.