Wednesday 11 June 2014

The Double Challenge!



As you may have heard, this Saturday, 14th June, my wife Anne and I will be setting off on a walk from the constituency here in Cornwall to the House of Commons in Westminster.

This 'Double Challenge' is something that I felt I wanted to do, first and foremost as a personal challenge to reflect in some small way, the political journey I am on that I hope will end with me reaching the House of Commons in May next year as the new MP for St Austell and Newquay. When I shared this crazy idea with Anne she was mad enough to say she would walk with me.

However, it also seemed a good opportunity to raise some money for local charities. Therefore, we are taking sponsorship through Virgin Money Giving for two important locally based charities - Cornwall Air Ambulance and Children's Hospice SW.

We have been amazed by the support we have had from local people and businesses. Hawkins Motors have donated the use of a van as our support vehicle and Cornwall Signs have sign written it for us. Kingsley Village kicked off the fundraising with a donation of £1000 and we have now had donations from around 50 people, raising over £3000 so far.



If you would like to sponsor us you can do so here - http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/doublesteve

We are aiming to complete the 259 mile walk in under two weeks, averaging approx 22 miles per day. Throughout our trek we will be blogging and Tweeting photos and details of our progress. So if you would like to keep in touch with us during our walk to can follow us on Twitter @stevedouble, 'like' my Facebook page - 


or through the blog on my website - 


If you would like to come and see us off we will be leaving from the Lemon Car Park at The Eden Project at 9.30am on Saturday 14th June.

Thank you for your interest in our walk and we hope you will continue to share the experience with us.