Thursday 1 November 2018

Campaign response - Will you stand up to save pubs from extinction?

Recently I have received a number of correspondence from constituents asking if I would speak in support of British pubs in Parliament.

Specifically, they asked if I would support reforms to the business rates system to address the unfair tax burden on pubs, a preferential rate of duty for draught beer and a review of the Pubs Code.

As Vice Chair of the Parliamentary Beer Group, I see it as both a duty and a privilege to be able to speak up regularly for pubs and breweries across the UK, including St Austell Brewery, an important local business and jobs creator.

In October I wrote to the Chancellor urging him to announce a review of Small Brewers Relief in the Budget in order to make the system fairer, encourage growth at all stages of a brewer’s business development, boost exports and provide better value for money for the taxpayer while saving the British pint as we know it.

I am glad that the Chancellor announced that he will be freezing beer, cider and spirits duty for another year, supporting patrons of the Great British Pub and saving people 2p on a pint of beer and 30p on a bottle of Scotch or gin.

I agree that the current businesses rates system is out of date and is particularly unfair to pub. I have been pressing the Government to reform business rates since I was elected in 2015. I will continue to do so and work to provide a fair system for pubs.

And I am delighted to inform my constituents that I will continue to champion the Great British pubs in Parliament by seeking to bring the issues they raised to the attention of relevant ministers.