Wednesday 21 November 2018

Campaign reply - British people voted to leave “WITHOUT a deal."


A number of constituents have written with an email entitled “British people voted to leave “WITHOUT a deal.”

I have delayed coming to a decision with regards to the Brexit deal until I had time to read it. I wanted to make up my own mind and not just form on an opinion based on the spin being put out by others. Additionally I wanted to take soundings from local people to ensure I was also reflecting their views.

The full draft agreement was only released to MPs late on Wednesday evening. It is a 585 page document that would take some time to even scan through let alone read fully. I was therefore somewhat surprised at those who were express strong views, on both sides of the debate, within minutes of its publication.

I had a full diary on Thursday and was only able to give time to consider the agreement properly on the train journey home on Thursday evening. Even then I must admit I was not able to read every word. But having scanned the document and read what I consider the key parts I did form a view that this was not something I could support.

Having also now had time to consider all of the feedback from local people, online, from the hundreds of emails I have received and also talking to my key staff and local party members it is clear that the vast majority of people agree with my view.

I issued a statement on Friday and posted it here –


confirming I will not be voting for this deal. My reasoning is as follows:

It does not fully  deliver on the promises made in our manifesto. That is reason enough. Further,  it locks us into a customs union we cannot leave without EU permission – I can never support that as it makes us a hostage to fortune and judging by the way the EU has behaved thus far it makes the notion untenable.

It risks the integrity of the United Kingdom – both politically and geographically.

We risk becoming a satellite state of the EU where we become rule takers yet have no influence over rule making.

It makes the proposals as they stand something I cannot vote for.

I trust you will understand and respect that I have taken an appropriate amount of time to consider what is after all a very important decision before coming to a firm view.