Monday 19 November 2018

Campaign reply - Please sign EDM 1829 to ban trophy hunting imports into the UK

I have received a number of emails on the matter of trophy hunting


There is to be an early day motion and I have been asked to sign it. As a principle I never sign early day motions as they very rarely achieve anything whilst at the same time running up costs to the tax payer. However that is not to say I do not have sympathy with your concerns.

In recent times trophy hunters have come under significant scrutiny in social media and other platforms. There is clearly a growing sense of disquiet of certain aspects of this “sport”.

Whilst I am at heart against the banning of things I believe legislation around trophy hunting and returning to the UK with trophy hunting specimens could be looked at further and whilst there are already import restrictions in place  it might be possible to do more. Of course once we leave the EU we will be free to make our own laws again and that will serve this cause and the nation very well on all manner of matters.