Friday 2 November 2018

Campaign response - Funding for schools


Thank you for your recent email about schools funding.

My personal view on this is that I do think we need to put more money into schools.

However, I think the right place for this decision will be in the Comprehensive Spending Review next year. I also should acknowledge that while we have put more money into schools they do face increasing pressure on their cost, particularly for teacher’s pensions

Whilst the recent fair funding review was a big step in the right direction to address the historic under-funding of some schools, particularly small rural schools such as we have many of in Cornwall, it will take time for this to work through.

I will be pressing the Government to increase the schools budget as part of the spending review next year.