Thursday 15 November 2018

Campaign response - Leave means Leave


Some have written to me in conjunction with the group, Leave means Leave.

The detailed points raised in the emails has many valid arguments and themes; many I agree with. Looking at this from a democratic point of view there is overwhelming evidence to support the necessity to honour the result of the referendum, such as:

  • All sides of the argument stated during the referendum campaign that the vote would be binding and was a once in a lifetime decision to remain or leave.
  • I stood at the last election on a leave platform, promising to do what I could to make sure the referendum result is honoured – and received an increased majority.
  • 84% of the votes cast at the last election were for parties who made clear in their manifesto that they would honour the result of the referendum.


It remains my focus and full intention to make sure we leave the EU. Once I have seen the detail of the current proposals, decisions can be made. I will aim to see that we are in a position that honours the spirit of the referendum campaign and of course once we leave we will be free to continue to establish new relationships with not only countries across the world but with the EU too. As ever I am happy to trade and cooperate with the EU but want no part in a United States of Europe.

The prize of Brexit hard fought by some for over 40 years is within sight. I will do my part to help see it to a successful conclusion.