Thursday 8 November 2018

Campaign response - #FundOurFuture


I have recently been contacted by a number of constituents as part of the #FundOurFuture campaign.

I am very supportive of the NHS and the work that its staff, including nurses do.

I am pleased to see the record levels of funding this Government is giving the NHS, as well as the recent confirmation in the Budget of the additional emphasis on mental health care.

When it comes to current and future nurses, I support the Government’s response to the Health and Social Care Select Committee Second Report of Session 2017-19, ‘The Nursing Workforce’, which was published earlier this year.

I have included a link to the full report below:


Regarding the funding of student nurses, the report says the following:

‘Regarding the funding reforms for healthcare students, the Government has been clear that the bursary funding system was not working for patients, for students, or for the universities that train them. The reforms moved away from centrally imposed number controls and financial limitations, creating a sustainable longterm model for universities and the healthcare workforce supply.’

As such I am supportive of the Government’s current position on this issue, which I trust will be kept under close review to ensure the best outcome for all concerned.