Thursday 1 November 2018

Campaign response - Request for attendance at asylum accommodation debate


Last month a number of my constituents asked if I could attend a Westminster Hall debate on accommodation contracts for asylum seekers.

I regret to inform them that I was unable to attend the debate as I was in Strasbourg for the Council of Europe’s parliamentary assembly sitting on the day.

This is an priority for the Immigration Minister who said at the debate that she has engaged in discussions with local authorities and civil society leaders on how best to improve asylum accommodation condition and ensure that new contracts can adequately meet the needs of asylum seekers as well as interests of the communities within which they are housed.

I would like to thank my constituents for bringing this issue to my attention and I look forward to future opportunities to speak on this important issue.