Monday 8 June 2020

Campaign response: Support an extension to the transition period in the national interest


I have been contacted by some constituents asking me to support an extension to the transition period for Brexit.

It will probably be of no surprise that I do not support this.

I find the statement that ‘the majority of people support an extension’ to be questionable at best.

Certainly that is not my experience when talking to constituents in St Austell and Newquay.

I would suggest that the majority of people want to see us Get Brexit Done as soon as possible, so we can get through the transition period and move forward as an independent nation. In fact this was the central policy of our party in the election just a few months ago where we won a resounding majority.

At that election I made a commitment to the voters of our constituency that I would work to ensure we left the EU on time with no delays. I intend to honour that commitment to the 31,273 people who voted for me.

I will continue to do all I can to support us getting through Brexit and beyond with a positive outcome that will be in the national interest.