Wednesday 17 June 2020

Campaign reply - Cancel Reception Baseline Assessment in 2020/21


A number of constituents have contacted me as part of a campaign called ‘Cancel Reception Baseline Assessment in 2020/21’.

I appreciate people taking the time to write to me as part of this campaign.

Baseline assessments are vital to ensure schools are able to assess the level at which children begin school to enable them to provide the right level of education in the early years to ensure they get the very best start to school life.

As such what is proposed is something I cannot support.

As many young children will have now been at home for at least three months now with their parents in some circumstances being able to give them more time, I would, in fact expect children entering school this autumn to have an advantage compared to previous years.