Monday 3 June 2019

Campaign response - I believe in taking junk food ads off our screens, do you?


Some constituents have emailed me recently to ask if I would support Cancer Research UK's campaign to restrict junk food ads on TV before 9pm and similar restrictions.

I am glad that the government is running a public consultation on these proposals which closes on the 10 June: https://consultations.dh.gov.uk/hfss/40bb3b72/

I have always said that childhood obesity poses one of the greater public health challenges of our time and that the government has an important role to play in helping parents and their children make the best choices.

I have previously lobbied Government minister to introduce the sugar levy on sugary drinks which forms part of a wider package of policies the government could introduce to help tackle childhood obesity.

It is important that policy on this area is not only driven by scientific evidence but also the views of parents. I would encourage constituents take part in the public consultation to ensure their views are heard by the government.

I will also be doing my part in Parliament by engaging with minister and speaking in debates on these proposals.