Monday 3 June 2019

Campaign response – Defending our values and standing against torture



A number of constituents have written to me expressing their concerns over the increasingly prevalent use of torture erosion of human rights across the world and the importance of our country to be a safe place for those fleeing torture as well as stand against those who condone it.

I completely agree with these constituents that the UK has a proud tradition of upholding human rights, justice, and offering protection to those fleeing torture and persecution.

As your representative I sit on the Council of Europe’s Parliamentary Assembly, which played a vital role in the development of the European Convention of Human Rights and continue to monitor the human rights record of member states.

I want to see us being a country that shows compassion to those who are fleeing warfare, persecution and torture and offer sanctuary and shelter to the most vulnerable.

More needs to be done to defend universal values and protect those who have suffered unjustly at the hands of persecutors. I am grateful to constituents who have taken the initiative to bring my attention to this issue and I will be seeking to raise it directly with the Foreign Secretary when I next see him.