Tuesday 25 June 2019

Campaign reply - "Why the delay in introducing tougher sentencing?"

A number of constituents have written to me with an email entitled "Why the delay in introducing tougher sentencing?"

It refers to concerns over the penalties imposed over those who mistreat animals. As an animal lover myself and with a family who have always owned dogs and also horses at one point, it remains a mystery to me why anyone should mistreat animals. Those that do should be brought to justice and dealt with accordingly.

There is concern that the government's plans to introduce tougher prison sentences has been forgotten. I do not believe this to be the case and animal welfare continues to be to the fore. For instance, in recent weeks new legislation was passed regarding circus performing animals.

Whilst the government is also looking at the abolition of shorter prison sentences, part of the ongoing consultations will be taking into account how this effects current sentencing guidelines.

Because of the concern expressed by so many of you and in line with my own views on these matters I will make a point of raising these issues with Ministers when I see them.