Wednesday 5 February 2020

Campaign reply - Trophy hunting


I have received a number of campaign emails on the matter of trophy hunting.

There is to be an early day motion and I have been asked to sign it. As a principle I never sign early day motions as they very rarely achieve anything whilst at the same time running up costs to the tax payer. However that is not to say I do not have sympathy with your concerns.

In recent times trophy hunters have come under significant scrutiny in social media and other platforms. There is clearly a growing sense of disquiet of certain aspects of this “sport”.

Whilst I am at heart against the banning of things, I believe legislation around trophy hunting could be looked at further.  Now we have left the EU we will of course be free to make our own laws again and that will serve this cause and the nation very well on all manner of matters.