Monday 10 February 2020

Campaign reply - “ Help protect the Oceans”


Several constituents have sent me a copy of a campaign email from Greenpeace, “ Help protect the Oceans”.

It was an honour to host an event for Greenpeace in Parliament in June of last year highlighting similar issues and plastic pollution in our rivers – which of course can lead to the further pollution of our seas and oceans.

I continue to take an interest in the work of Greenpeace and also the excellent work of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) Ocean Conservation Group which I have chaired. Following the general election the APPG will be reformulated. The invitation to others to join the APPG says this:

As you know, the ocean is now front and centre of the environmental debate and public concerns, both in terms of impacts we are having on ecosystems and possible solutions to safeguard our natural world. We look forward to working together to discuss issues including climate change, plastic pollution, water quality and the need for highly protected marine reserves. This year marks the start of the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, and the UN Decade of Ecosystem Restoration, which provides us with a powerful external frame to further develop the scope and impact of the Ocean Conservation APPG.

Representing a coastal constituency, I feel an increased sense of responsibility to do all I can to both raise awareness of these issues and do something about it. It includes taking practical steps too. For those who have troubled to send me a copy of the campaign email I believe it shows your keen interest in our environment. As already stated, I have long since been involved with various environmental groups such as Greenpeace and Ocean Conservation hosting events in Parliament and lobbying ministers on a range of related issues. I will continue to do so including the Prime Minister.  But it is essential to do something beyond that; I also take practical steps by organising events in the constituency. Campaign emails have become part of our democracy, but far more telling is what we all do to improve our environment. With that in mind I would be delighted if you would join me and my team of volunteers on beach cleans and the like. Details of upcoming events can be found here: https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/