Thursday 27 February 2020

Campaign reply - Permanent funding for the National Wildlife Crime Unit.


A number of constituents have sent me a copy of a campaign email regarding Permanent funding for the National Wildlife Crime Unit.

As a principle I never sign early day motions as they very rarely achieve anything whilst at the same time running up costs to the taxpayer.

The funding of various bodies is always a big concern for supporters and the organisation itself and I note the comments made regarding funding for IFAW. With the budget not far away, it is something I can raise with ministers to see if any permanent provision is proposed.

We will be able to review our own laws and regulations (once we finally leave the EU) on a whole raft of issues not least the ones raised in the campaign.

The governments commitment to recruit another 20,000 police officers will be a major boost to ensuring existing and new laws and regulations are enforced.

When I see ministers I will raise the concerns expressed about the future of IFAW and the ongoing excellent work they perform.