Thursday 9 January 2020

Campaign Response - Invitation to the 2020 Open Doors World Watch List launch


My thanks to the many constituents who wrote to me about the important issue of persecuted Christians, with an invitation to the Launch of Open Door’s World Watch List, over the Christmas period.

Having attended launches of the WWL in previous years, I am pleased to inform them that I will be attending this year’s launch event and hosting the Open Doors reception for church leaders in Parliament.

Constituents will be aware that in my speech of July 2019 regarding the Bishop of Truro’s report on the FCO’s support the persecuted Christians, I was proud to highlight the vital and tireless work of organisations like Open Doors in bringing this issue to the public’s attention, year after year. I am sure constituents were as pleased as I was to hear the Prime Minister use his Christmas Message to highlight the worldwide persecution of Christians and the need to take urgent action.

As a former church leader and a long-time champion of the freedom of religion and belief, constituents can have my complete assurance that the plight of the persecuted church will remain high on my agenda for this new Parliament, and that I will continue to work with the government to take action to tackle religious persecution.