Thursday 23 January 2020

Campaign reply - “It's Time to Stand For The Trees and ReThink HS2, before it's too late.”


Thank you to those who sent me a copy of the campaign email entitled “It's Time to Stand For The Trees and ReThink HS2, before it's too late.” My concern is that it appears that an opinion has been formed on a prejudged perspective. This is always  difficult as no amount of explanation or facts will shift opinions.

HS2 Ltd have taken more care and trouble over the routes and the impact it has than any other railway ever built in the UK and possibly in the world. They care. They are obliged to under the remit given. For instance, HS2 has focused on the "green corridor"  which will deliver the project that "respects" the natural environment. That covers all manner of issues besides trees, but it demonstrates the care and trouble being taken. For example, it has taken great care to move animals, such as the Great Crested Newt, away from the line and created  new habitats.


On trees, HS2 will plant seven million new trees - a mix of species including holly, hazel, dogwood and oak. This is double the number that might be felled.

One aspect of this campaign that troubles me is that train travel is one of the most environmentally friendly travel options and it seems perverse for any environmentalist to oppose it.

We must also bear in mind that there is growing concern over build costs and the government is urgently reviewing this. It might not go ahead. I will take a keen interest in following this if only on cost grounds as I am content with other aspects of the project originally inspired by the last Labour government – other than the oft repeated routine failure to estimate likely final costs.

For those who have troubled to send me a copy of the campaign email I believe it shows your keen interest in our environment. My interests are similar for I have long since been involved with various environmental groups such as Greenpeace and Ocean Conservation hosting events in Parliament and lobbying ministers on a range of related issues. I also take practical steps by organising events in the constituency. Campaign emails have become part of our democracy but far more telling is what we all actually do to improve our environment. With that in mind I would be delighted if you would join me and my team of volunteers on beach cleans and the like. Details of upcoming events can be found here: https://www.stevedouble.org.uk/