Monday 10 December 2018

Campaign response - 'Brexit shambles'


A number of constituents have written to me using a similar format that has additional paragraphs covering specific issues such as the prospects for future generations, NHS funding, EU funded projects in Cornwall and other matters.

The email typically opens with I am writing to you as a local resident who just wants to see the best for our local community”. Can I say straight away, so do I - which is why during the referendum campaign and at the last election I stood on a Leave supporting platform. That is exactly how we can all have a better future. The UK will be better off leaving the EU to become the free trading nation it once was.

Our children will reap the benefits of those opportunities and whilst I think we all acknowledge there will inevitably be a transitional period following leaving the EU my belief is we will be doing the right thing.

NHS funding only comes from having a prosperous economy and I firmly believe Brexit will deliver the economy we need as we trade freely once again across the world.
On EU funded projects, The EU doesn’t have any money – only the money we (as net contributors) send them. They in turn send some of it back with enormous amounts of red tape and caveats attached. Best cut out the middle man I say. The regional development fund will replace and be far better focused on Cornish needs than anything the EU has done.

I remain committed to serving all constituents regardless of their views on Brexit or politics – I genuinely do and reflect on the feedback I get on Brexit and all other matters. However the overwhelmingly majority of my mailbag is from people asking, pleading and demanding that we get the Brexit they voted for and leave. I agree. The majority view remains that and as such it is impossible to action everyone’s perspective. In a democracy the majority must hold sway.

My position on Brexit has been consistent and is very much a long held view of mine; that we would be much better out of the EU.

I backed a people’s vote in 2016. Our constituency voted by almost 2-1 in favour of leave, the biggest margin in Cornwall.

I voted to leave and I believe my job as a parliamentarian is to get on with delivering the results of the people’s vote.

I am committed to delivering the results of the referendum, nationally and locally, by ensuring that we leave the EU on 29 March 2019. It is vital for our democracy we respect the decision the British people made in 2016’s referendum and deliver what the people voted for.

Additionally, during the election campaign last year I stood on a very clear message that I would respect the result of the referendum and work to deliver Brexit. I received a clear mandate in that election receiving and biggest vote and biggest majority ever seen in the constituency.

I made a short speech in the house on the current proposal which sets out my position and you can watch it here:



The referendum decided the course we should take and whilst and I remain focused on honouring the outcome and doing the right thing by democracy, local people and the UK as a whole.