Monday 15 October 2018

Newspaper column 17 October 2018 - My first week at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe


Last week I was deeply honoured to sit for the first time on the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. By doing so I also became the first ever Cornish Member of Parliament to do this.

The Council of Europe is an international organisation whose stated aim is to uphold human rights, democracy and the rule of law in Europe. Founded following inspiration from Churchill in 1949, it has 47 member states, covers approximately 820 million people and operates with an annual budget of approximately half a billion euros.

Unlike the EU, the Council of Europe cannot make binding laws, but it does have the power to enforce select international agreements reached by European states on various topics particularly with regards to human rights.

Although we are leaving the EU next year, we are not leaving the Council of Europe and will continue to be an integral member of this organisation.

At last week’s session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, the main issues raised were surrounding Russia and its continual recent flouting of international guidelines. This relates as to whether, given these actions, Russia should be allowed to remain a member of the Council.

During the session I was also able to speak on two other unrelated matters.

Firstly on Thursday I spoke in a debate on the reunification of refugee families. I have always been clear that when people are in very difficult situations such as this, often at their most vulnerable, we should do everything possible to help them.

The Council ended up recommending, among other points, that families must not be torn apart and they should not be prevented from reuniting after an often dangerous departure from their country of origin.

On Friday I thanked the Council of Europe for granting Cornish people protected Minority status in 2014, but highlighted the subsequent lack of progress by successive governments in following through with the Council’s recommendations.

I also raised the current campaign for a Cornish Tick Box as part of the next national census, which along with my Cornish MP colleagues I have been leading the charge on.

It was an interesting week and I look forward to continuing to bring my Cornish perspective to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in future sessions.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events