Monday 29 October 2018

Campaign response - NHS and the Budget


I have recently been contacted by a number of constituents regarding the proposal of a tax rise to provide an extra £20 billion to the NHS.

I was re-elected in 2017 by the people of St Austell and Newquay on a Conservative manifesto that promises to lower the tax burden on hardworking families and I intend on doing all that I can to keep taxes low for everyone.

Economic growth is the foundation of a well-functioning NHS. By hiking tax rates, the economy would be stifled, thus harming the NHS in the long term.

The Office for Budget Responsibility’s recent revisions to their forecast for public finances – due to stronger-than-expected tax receipts – is set to reduce the budget deficit by £13 billion, which could help pay for the government’s commitment to raise more money for the NHS.

I will therefore be opposing a tax rise for the NHS in the upcoming budget.