Monday 29 October 2018

Campaign response - Yemen and human rights


I have recently received a number of correspondence from constituents concerned about Saudi Arabia’s involvement in the Yemen conflict. They asked if I would call on the government to end arms sales to Saudi Arabia and if I would sign an EDM on this issue.

I have a policy to not sign EDMs as apart from costing taxpayers unnecessary amounts of money they rarely achieve anything.

However, the points my constituents raised are of concern to me.

Any incidents of civilian deaths, particularly children, caught up in a conflict are always dreadful.

The Government has recently assured parliamentarians that it keeps export licensing for Saudi Arabia under constant review, including in light of military action by the Saudi-led Coalition in Yemen.

The key test for the Government’s continued military exports to Saudi Arabia in relation to International Humanitarian Law (IHL) is whether there is a clear risk that those items might be used in the commission of a serious violation of IHL.

As set out in the Consolidated EU and National Arms Export Licensing Criteria, the Government will not issue an export licence where we assess that the items might be used in the commission of a serious violation of international humanitarian law.

A licence would not be granted if to do so was inconsistent with the criteria.

I know that the Government is keeping the situation under careful and continual review, and I will to seek to raise this issue with ministers when the opportunity arises.