Wednesday 15 April 2020

Newspaper column 15 April 2020 - COVID-19 update 5


I hope everyone had a happy, peaceful and safe Easter weekend at home. Despite the incredibly nice weather, it was great to hear that our parks, beaches and roads were quiet – not something I never thought I’d catch myself saying.

I was pleased to see our local Police force taking decisive measures to stop people from out-of-county travelling down to Cornwall for the holidays. A roadblock was placed on the A30 with officers stopping vehicles and asking the purpose of people’s journeys – those who were not travelling for essential reasons were respectfully, but rightly, asked to turn around. Myself and my West Country MP colleagues had been calling for this kind of action after many concerned constituents got in touch with their accounts of holiday makers, second homeowners, and so-called celebrities, continuing to ignore explicit Government advice and come to Cornwall.

I want to thank Devon and Cornwall Police for taking these steps to protect Cornish lives. I also want to pay a tribute to those officers on the frontline, putting themselves at risk to keep us all safe. The best way we can all show our appreciation to them – and the incredible frontline health and Social Care workers across Cornwall – is by continuing to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.

One of the biggest stories of last week was on course the news that the Prime Minster was taking into intensive care on Monday evening – after I had written my column for last week’s paper. Like many of you, I was pleased and relieved to see reports that his health was improving during the week. Now more than ever as a country we need his strong leadership at the heart of Government to see us through this crisis. Whilst it is important he now takes the time he needs to fully recover and follow the medical advice of his doctors, I am looking forward to seeing him back where he belongs, in No10 leading our fight against this virus, once he has fully recovered. He and his partner Carrie continue to receive my best wishes and prayers.

At the time of writing it is unclear when the lockdown will end. My hunch is that it will be extended for some time yet. We have always been taking a scientific, data-led approach to this crisis and it is only right that the lockdown ends when we know it is safe to do so. Ending it too early will only increase the risk of overloading our NHS services and place more people in danger. I know that many of you will be growing weary of being inside, away from friends and loved ones, and the routine of normal life, but if we do not stick to what the experts are telling us this crisis will only go on for longer, with more lives lost.

So as we enter our fourth week of staying at home please continue to think of our NHS and Social Care workers, Police Officers, council staff, teachers, supermarket staff and everyone working around the clock to keep all those in our community most vulnerable to this deadly virus safe. Show them your respect again this week, not just by clapping on Thursday, but by staying at home every day.

One of things I have been doing to continue to be available to constituents is hosting a Facebook Live Q&A – this is an opportunity for anyone to ask any questions they have about the situation we are in. The past two have attracted thousands of viewers and I have had lots of positive feedback. I will be hosting another session this Wednesday 15th April at 7pm. Please just come to my Facebook page around that time if you want to join in.

Although working from home, all my office staff and I continue to be available to help in any way we can – whether that is providing advice, answering any questions or helping you access the help and support that is available. You can contact us on office@stevedouble.org.uk or 01726 829379. I have also been posting regular updates on my Facebook page: facebook.com/SteveDouble2015 or my website www.stevedouble.org.uk/covid19