Wednesday 22 April 2020

Campaign response - Covid-19 in immigration detention centres



Recently some constituents have written to me about the risks facing those held in immigration removal centres (IRCs) in view of the ongoing situation with COVID-19.

I am grateful to them for getting in touch and I would like to first assure them that having worked with Detention Action - the organiser of this particular campaign - I am regularly being updated by them about the current issues facing people who are subject to immigration control in custody.

As a responsible Member of Parliament I can never be in favour of allow all who are in IRCs to be removed at once - that would make a mockery of our legal and criminal justice systems. It is clear to me and many that the people of this country want to see effective controls on our immigration system.

At the same time people want to see fairness in the system. As such I have been an advocate for a rethink on indefinite detention at IRCs - an unfair and unpopular policy introduced by the previous Labour Government. 

My preferred outcome is that those in IRCs should have their cases expedited by the Home Office so that they are not contracting of COVID-19 unnecessarily. Some will have their decisions overturned while others, subject to immigration removal, may well need to be in more suitable accommodation arrangements so that are shielded from those who have COVID-19, before the travel restrictions are lifted and they can be returned to their country of origin. 

With Parliament now returning from recess I look forward to asking ministers the questions that my constituents have set out.