Monday 25 February 2019

Campaign Response - Show love for animals - recognise animal sentience in law


I have recently been contacted by a number of constituents as part of the 'Show love for animals - recognise animal sentience in law' campaign.

Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs  announced at the Conservative Party conference that the government will legislate to increase the sentencing guidelines for animal cruelty. As a dog owner myself, I think people who abuse animals are abhorrent and welcome this move by the government.

I hope the new, harsher sentences (up to 5 years) send a message to people who abuse animals, it is not acceptable and will be punished severely including having a reasonably long prison sentence.

I look forward to this law coming to the House and I hope it is implemented as soon as possible.

I have also been concerned over live animal exports and opened the Westminster Hall debate raising awareness of current failings and concerns.

Once we leave the EU we will be free to introduce our own legislation concerning animal welfare and of course many other issues.