Wednesday 27 February 2019

Campaign reply - “Now is the time to enact what the country called for in the largest democratic vote taken by the people,”



Following a campaign email entitled “Now is the time to enact what the country called for in the largest democratic vote taken by the people,” I take this opportunity to again reiterate my abiding focus on honouring the result of the referendum with a meaningful Brexit.

Article 50 clearly sets out that in the event of no deal being reached then we leave on WTO terms. Whilst that option will present challenges in the short term I firmly believe that it is a viable and appropriate way forward.

An examination of my voting record will amply demonstrate my commitment to honouring the result of the referendum.

In the PM’s recent statement in the House she set out a timetable of votes. There is now the very real and looming prospect of seeing the no deal scenario voted down. This is a disastrous in my view and I will never support a vote to take if off the table.
An extension to leaving has also now emerged and again I will not support such a move unless it is specifically to allow for the implementation of a likely deal. Never for more negotiations.   If an amended deal emerges that gets us out with us then free to negotiate further once gone, then it will need consideration in view of the options on offer..

Thank you also to the countless thousands who have written to me, telephoned or stopped me in the constituency urging me on to do my part in seeing us successfully leave the EU. You have been heard and I am on the case.