Wednesday 27 February 2019

Campaign reply Tuesday 26 February - Please call for an end to the 5 week wait for Universal Credit


A number of constituents have contacted as me as part of a campaign asking me to attend the estimates debate on 26 February and call for an end to the 5 week wait for Universal Credit.

I was unable to attend this debate on 26 February due to prior commitments elsewhere in Parliament.

In terms of Universal Credit, I did support calls for changes to the advance payment system when you first make a claim. I was pleased to see the Government subsequently change the benefit to allow claimants who need it claim a 100% advance payment.

I believe this was a good step in making claiming this benefit easier to claim, and also one that negates the five week wait when used. As such I do not support calls to remove the waiting period for this benefit.

I continue to feedback concerns raised with me by constituents and take feedback from local DWP staff which I raise with Ministerial colleagues where appropriate.