Wednesday 27 February 2019

Campaign response – help stop Christophobia



Christians across the world are experiencing increasing levels of persecution and violence. In light of this, a number of concerned constituents have written to me asking me to support Premier Christianity’s Stop Christophobia campaign.

They said in their email: “I ask that as my constituency MP you use your influence in Parliament to feed into the policy review announced by the Foreign Secretary to ensure that the UK Government does all it can to protect, support and advocate for Christians who are suffering for their faith.”

I have long championed the freedom of religion and in particular the rights of Christian minorities across the world.

Ever since becoming your MP in 2015 I have made my views on religious persecution clear – I want to see the Government increase its efforts on tackling this global issue by speaking up and taking action where possible, including sanctions against the persecutors and sanctuary for the persecuted.

I would therefore like to join constituents in welcoming the Foreign Secretary’s announcement of a global review into the persecution of Christians. This unprecedented review will look at the challenges that Christians face and how effectively the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has provided support to persecuted Christians, before make recommendations on the practical steps the government can take to better help those who face persecuted.

I recently had the privilege of attending the launch of the review at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, after which I met with the Bishop of Truro who is leading the review.

In January I was also delighted to be able to host a parliamentary reception for international church leaders ahead of the Open Doors World Watch List 2019.

I will continue to engage with the review where possible and use my influence as an MP to bring about positive changes to Christians who face persecution because of their belief.