Wednesday 5 September 2018

Newspaper column 5 September 2018 - The latest on Brexit


Parliament returns this week after the Summer Recess. It has been great to be home in Cornwall for the past six weeks and it has been good to be able to get out and about and see so many of you during that time.

As we return one issue continues to dominate the national news – Brexit.

I thought it would be good to lay out clearly my position as we get closer to our leaving the EU.

As most of you will know I voted Leave. I have been a Eurosceptic for as long as I can remember. Our constituency voted by almost 2-1 in favour of leave, the biggest margin in Cornwall.

I am committed to ensure we leave and have the cleanest break possible from the EU. However it is clear not only that the EU wants to make it as difficult as possible for us to leave but that many people in Parliament are also determined to disrupt or undermine our leaving. With the Parliamentary arithmetic as it is this does present some real challenges for those of us that want to see a true Brexit.

It is vital for our democracy we respect the decision the British people made in 2016’s referendum and deliver what the people voted for.

I do not support another referendum – not only would it not be respecting the 2016 vote – which was a people’s vote, it would also undermine the negotiating position. It would also cause further delay and uncertainty. The vast majority of people tell me they simply want us to get on with things and leave. Businesses in particular want to know, as soon as possible what the future will hold.

It is doubtful there would even be time for another referendum within the time available but even if it could be shoehorned into the schedule, the delay and certainty would be the last thing we need.

Of course there is also the question that if we held another referendum, if there were people unhappy with the result of that one, would they then want another one, and so on until they got a result they were happy with? That isn’t how democracy works.

I continue to have serious concerns about what has become known as the Chequers deal and share the view of many that is does not deliver what people voted for in the referendum.

I have always been of the view that the EU would agree a deal, but as is usually their way it would be very late in the process. There have been the first signs in the last week or so that they are beginning to soften their position and that a deal for trade would be achievable.

I will wait to see precisely what is agreed to before deciding my position. Rest assured I will be working to deliver the clean and positive Brexit that this constituency voted for.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events