Friday 7 September 2018

Bahrain Backbench Debate 11th September


Over the past few weeks I have received a number of campaign emails sent by my constituents inviting me to attend a Westminster Hall debate on alleged human rights abuse in Bahrain on Tuesday 11th of September.

Responding to a Parliamentary Question on this subject four months ago, the Minister of State for the Middle East reiterated the UK Government opposition to the use of the death penalty in all countries under all circumstances, and reassured MPs that the technical assistance offered by the UK Government is, above all, aimed at improving the Bahraini Government’s human rights records.

However, I note with concern the dire situation facing Maher Abbas Al-Khabbaz, Mohamed Ramadhan and Husain Moosa. It is important that UK set an example and stand for human rights internationally. We also need to ensure that taxpayer’s money spent abroad delivers positive results and leads to better outcomes for citizens.

While I regret to inform my constituents that I will not be able to attend the debate due to other parliamentary commitments that I have at the same time as the debate, given the severity of the situation, I will be seeking to raise this matter with the Minister for the Middle East when I next see him.