Monday 10 September 2018

Campaign response - Gaza Briefing 11 September – please you could be there?; Stop Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestine; Demolition of Bedouin villages in the West Bank


I have recently been contacted by constituents who are concerned about the demolition of the West Bank village of Khan al-Ahmar and would like to invite me to attend a briefing event in Parliament on this issue.

They informed me that Israel’s High Court has recently approved the demolition and eviction of the entire West Bank village of Khan al-Ahmar, and that Palestinians had submitted three petitions to save the West Bank village - home to some 180 civilians - all of which have been rejected.

The Israeli authorities has argued that the herding village was illegally built on state land and must be moved. The High Court of Justice has upheld the state of Israel’s right to move the herding village, but has also expressed concerns that a viable relocation option has not been proposed. In response, authorities have drawn up plans to relocate inhabitants of the Khan al-Ahmar to nearby locations in the West Bank. These plans have recently been rejected by the inhabitants, who are threatening to respond with violence to any attempt to demolish the village.

I share my constituents’ concerns about the situation in Khan al-Ahmar and would like to see both sides take swift action to de-escalate tensions and reach a peaceful resolution. On this occasion I regret to inform them I will not be able to attend the briefing event due to other parliamentary commitments happening at the same time as the event. I would like to thank my constituents for drawing my attention to this issue and assure them that I will continue to monitor the situation in Khan al-Ahmar closely.