Wednesday 4 July 2018

Respecting the will of the people


Regarding the need for politicians to respect the will of the people as expressed in the referendum on European Union membership by ensuring that we do leave the European Union in March 2019. 

I voted to leave the European Union in the June 2016 referendum. Since becoming your Member of Parliament in 2015, I have always made my Eurosceptic views clear. I believe that by leaving the European Union, the British people will be taking back control of our borders, laws, trade policy and avoid being part of an ever-closing union, which has yield nothing but social and economic disaster for many of its members.

I, along with vast majority of my colleagues in Parliament, are of the opinion that the referendum on the UK’s membership of European Union was a clear and fair vote, demonstrating that we as a nation are in favour of leaving the European Union. 

To delay, reverse or force a second referendum on the British public would therefore not only be a betrayal of will of the British people, but also undermine trust in our nation’s democratic institutions.

Like you, I am a democrat and I believe that in order to safeguard our democracy we need to implement the will of the nation, as expressed in the results of the referendum, by leaving the European Union. I will continue to do whatever I can to ensure we leave the EU in March 2019 and will be voting against any bills or amendments that seek to undo the results of the EU referendum.