Wednesday 4 July 2018

Newspaper column 4 July 2018 - the Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Investment Fund


I am sure we have all been enjoying the heatwave we have been experiencing. There really is nowhere better than Cornwall when the weather is like this. It is certainly much better than being in London and having to cope with the oppressive heat in Parliament.  

Last week I spoke in Parliament about some owners of holiday lets who exploit loopholes to get away with not paying the rates they should, penalising other taxpayers in the process, in a debate called by my fellow Cornish MP Derek Thomas.

I also welcomed Cornish bee keeper, Andrew Brown, to Westminster to talk about his plans to increase the numbers of bees in Cornwall. I also met with Cornwall Air Ambulance to continue to support their vital work.

At the end of the week I was delighted to welcome more funding for Cornwall with the launch of the £40 million Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Investment Fund.

The Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Investment Fund (CIOSF) will boost the local economy by providing debt and equity finance to help growing small businesses, of which we have so many of in Mid-Cornwall, across the region.

The fund has been established in partnership with the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and UK Government to provide local businesses with more funding options to help them grow and create jobs.

CIOSIF has been designed following input from local business groups, funders, business advisers and the LEP and will provide debt and equity finance from £25k to £2 million. It is expected to unlock a further £40 million of private investment.

I am pleased to have worked with the LEP and Cornwall Council to ensure this important fund is now available to support our local economy.

This is something I have worked long and hard, with all levels of the Government to bring about, and will unlock millions of pounds of investment for our hardworking small businesses in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

The programme had stalled due to EU red tape last year and I met with Business Minister Andrew Griffiths to discuss the problems and the importance of the fund to Cornwall, and I am pleased, a short while later, to see this launch.

I look forward to seeing how this fund will positively impact on our businesses and continuing to do all I can to ensure Cornwall gets the funding we need to grow and prosper.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events