Wednesday 25 July 2018

Newspaper column 25 July 2018 - Parking Bill


This week sees Parliament rising for Summer Recess. I will be at home for the rest of July and August in Mid-Cornwall and seeking to get out and about meeting local people and attending as many events as possible.

If you would like me to visit your business or group during recess then please get in touch via the details below and I will be happy to consider a convenient time.

Although Parliament has now risen, in its last week I was still able to cram in a lot of work on behalf of Mid-Cornwall, including speaking on the Spaceport announcement, presenting a petition on behalf of local parents who home educate their children, and also welcoming Energy Minister Claire Perry to Foxhole to discuss the success of the Winter Wellness programme.

I have also been appointed to the Parliamentary Committee for the Parking Code of Practice Bill. This means I will be one of a committee of MPs who will be seeing this new legislation through Parliament.

This Bill seeks to bring greater regulation to private parking firms, something which has long been of interest to me due to the number of people, both locals and tourists, who regularly contact me after being caught with a fine.

I have raised this in Parliament in the past, including speaking in a debate on it last year, in which I named and shamed two particular offenders, and argued the way in which some parking firms operate in issuing penalties for spurious reasons is unfair to motorists and damaging the reputation of Cornwall.

At the time I argued that when we have unfair practices, when we have firms operating in ways that are damaging other businesses and upsetting tourists and locals, it is right that the government look at this carefully and if necessary bring in legislation that will protect motorists and help sustain local businesses.

I do not want the defining memory of so many visitors to places like Newquay being their shoddy treatment at the hands of these rogue operators. The legislation proposed will bring in a strict code of conduct that will regulate the way that private parking firms can operate. It will include measures such as insisting of clear signage and allowing periods of grace to enable motorists to find a parking spot and buy a ticket. Once passed this new legislation will address many of the key issues that are concerns under the current set up.

I was pleased to highlight some of the issues effecting people here in mid-Cornwall in the committee and the impact it is having our on the tourism industry. I look forward to seeing this legislation being passed into law and am pleased to be able to represent the concerns locally in shaping this Bill.

My team and I are here to serve the whole constituency and work hard to make a real difference to the lives of everyone needing support. The office is open to the public Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm (no appointment necessary). If there is an issue you would like my assistance on then please, either visit the office or contact me on either 01726 829379 or office@stevedouble.org.uk. Additionally, I hold regular, appointment only, advice surgeries across the constituency. Dates of these can be found at: www.stevedouble.org.uk/events