Monday 28 October 2019

Campaign response: Steve Double please help end delayed diagnosis of blood cancer



Thank you to constituents who have emailed me about th impact that delays to diagnosis of blood cancer has had on patients across the UK.

I am as pleased as they are that the Government has pledged to improve diagnosis rates for all cancers, and I agree that more can be done to improve the speed and accuracy of diagnosis for blood cancer.

Next Tuesday in the Commons MPs will have a chance to ask questions to ministers at the DHSC, and I am pleased that a number of colleagues have put on the record their intentions to ask a question about the use of the latest NICE guidance to help GPs better spot blood cancer symptoms. I look forward to a positive response from ministers on this issue, and a renewed commitment to develop a course of action to tackle this issue.

As the new Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Department for Health and Social Care, I am keen to use my position to ensure that important issues like the diagnosis of blood cancer are given time for debate and are adequately dealt with.