Monday 28 October 2019

Campaign reply - " Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill."


A number of constituents have sent me a campaign email entitled, " Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill."

I have previously commented on this but set out my view afresh in view of the recent Queens Speech where new legislation is referenced.

As an animal lover myself and with a family who have always owned dogs and also horses at one point, it remains a mystery to me why anyone should mistreat animals. Those that do should be brought to justice and dealt with accordingly.

The government's plans to introduce tougher prison sentences has not been forgotten and recent legislation was passed regarding circus performing animals. Progress is being made.

Because so many of you have expressed concern and in line with my own views on these matters I will make a point of raising these issues with Ministers again.