Thursday 11 July 2019

Campaign response – Please support Open Doors' three calls for persecuted Christians worldwide



Thank you to constituents who have written to me about the need for the UK government to press on with its work on persecuted Christians worldwide, following publication of the Bishop of Truro’s report on the matter earlier this week.

I am proud to stand with and speak up for all those who are persecuted because of their faith. I have made public my support for Open Doors’ campaign three calls for persecuted Christians worldwide (https://twitter.com/stevedouble/status/1148142410679144454) and have kept a close eye on the progress of the report ever since it was announced by the Foreign Secretary in December. I have had meetings with the Bishop of Truro to discuss this matter and attended the launch of the interim report earlier this year.

I am in total agreement with the three calls that constituents have drawn my attention to, and believe that much more needs to be done to both raise awareness of the seriousness of religious persecution and ensure that the FCO response, here in the UK and locally in countries where persecution takes place, is more robust.

I would be more than happy to speak to both Conservative leadership candidates and to ask them to give firm commitments on this issue.